Ting by Whisker Labs
Ting is a connected fire safety device that detects electrical fire hazards prior to them becoming life or property threatening events. Ting is not just a piece of hardware – it is a 24/7 subscription based monitoring service that makes sure a home is protected from electrical fires.
Once plugged in to an outlet within the home, Ting begins monitoring the home’s electrical system for micro-arcing which are the precursors to electrical fires. Micro-arcing occurs when damaged wires or a loose connection causes the wiring to create a very small spark which grows over time as the wires continue to degrade. After enough time, the spark becomes large enough to cause a fire. Ting can detect these tiny sparks weeks or even months before they become a fire and notify homeowners and contractors giving them ample time to fix the issue, saving money, property, and even lives.
For more information on how Ting works, you can watch this video.
- Contractors who have an electrical license (a requirement to be a Ting contractor) will have peace of mind knowing nuisance truck rolls will be nonexistent thanks to the $1,000 labor credit provided by Whisker Labs for any hazards they detect. This credit will be paid directly to the contractor by Whisker Labs at the contractor’s normal rates.
- Since Ting is a subscription service, not just a piece of hardware, contractors can easily build reoccurring revenue without having to visit the home. It is a easy way to build revenue and equity in a business with minimal effort!
- Ting is not available through big box retail like Home Depot or Lowe’s so homeowners will have to go through the Pro Channel or Ting’s website in order to have this product. And installation takes less than five minutes!
- Access to a dashboard showing all the Ting’s installed and data on the home gives contractors opportunities to upsell things like generators or whole home surge protectors if they notice a certain home has a higher rate of surges, brown outs, or black outs.
- Compared to other connected products, margins are very healthy with Ting. Contractors pay $202 for the first year (giving them a margin of $147 per Ting sold) and $49 every year after (giving them a margin of $50).
- Once installed, Ting will monitor the home 24/7 for micro-arcing, the precursor to electrical fires.
- If a hazard is detected by Ting, Ting will notify the homeowner and work with the contractor who installed Ting to schedule a time to fix the issue. Since it is monitored by a third party (Whisker Labs), homeowners can know that any issue detected is legitimate and not a ploy by the contractor to increase revenue.
- Ting also includes a $1,000 credit towards any labor required to fix a detected hazard which means that homeowners have peace of mind AND a lifelong credit of $1,000 if there is any issue detected.
- For all of the above, the homeowner pays $349 (hardware + subscription monitoring) for the first year and just $99 (subscription monitoring) every year after.
- If the homeowner decides that they do not want the product within the first 30 days of Ting being installed, there is a “30 Day Money Back Guarantee”.